< > Alchemy for Dummies 2: A Crappy Day!

Sunday, October 29, 2006

A Crappy Day!

I started off sleeping fairly well yesterday and awoke to a storm being predicted. As Friday was not payday in the new system(Tuesday will be) and Betsy had to work. I had a day of minor chores planned and some computer time. I am running low on my meds and skipped them till later in the day. The first thing to go wrong was the letter from OPERS. Betsy had opened it and filled out part but was having a problem with the rest of it. She said it needed notarized and that was true. What she had missed was it also said it had to be signed by the payroll officer of her last job, clear over at Metro. Damn! That means mailing it to them and waiting till it comes back, since Betsy is now working full time. That means it will be all the longer till we can get that money, something which could have helped us out a long time ago. My mood dropped. We also figured out that the pharmacy had been trying to reach her to tell her they could not fill her thyroid Rx as her doctor is no longer with the place they were trying to reach. So Betsy has only one of her regular strength pills left and is going to have to use the old lesser strength till a new Rx can be written. (She took her first today and we can already tell the difference.) I got Betsy off to work on time and while the weather was not great it was not terrible, though it began to sleet shortly after she left. I was glad I had brought Thorissa the Wild One in Friday night. It also began to lightning and thunder, which is okay by me. The wind began to pick up. Betsy called, and it turned out she was not scheduled to work,though she did meet a work friend of hers who she was glad to see. She called me and asked about coming home but I suggested she go to the "Y' since she had the opportunity to exercise. I was on the computer a while and finally went down to eat, only to step in cat crap. Thorissa, being mad just used the floor, not the litterbox in the kitchen. In her defense, Lindy does attack her if she goes to the basement to use the main litter boxes. I cleaned up, ate and came upstairs. I figured I would read. I fell asleep though. While I was sleeping something did happen, which Betsy spotted when she came in and came upstairs. I woke just as she came upstairs, and she told me a large part of the trunk to the old silver maple in our back yard had come down. She asked if I had heard it. Nope! We had wind gusts of up to 60 MPH and the old tree, which we knew was having problems , just couldn't take it. Some damage to the upstairs gutter, sleeping porch(rail down) and the back porch. Se my Flickr posts.
Betsy had gone shopping so she brought in the groceries while I kept the boys in.
She then fixed dinner and afterwards started the dishwasher, which commenced to leak all over. Betsy thought it was due to the disposal being clogged. I tried to temporarily clean the water up. Later we noticed it was getting too warm even for such a chilly night. The leaking water ran into the floor and the basement, shorting the furnace, keeping it from shutting off. This has happen a couple of times in the past, once long ago and once this spring, so I told Betsy where the master switch for the furnace was, as she wanted to shut it down since had never done so. Still it was toasty warm and we were happy watching TV, "The Horse Whisperer". Though Thorissa had begged to be let out, she then wanted to come in; but when I would try to bring her in :jumping up, going to the door, stopping the boys, going out into the wind and rain, she would not come in. She pulled this twice, and I said enough. We stayed up a bit latter than we normally would, knowing we had an extra hour, watching Monty Python-including the "Cheese Shop" one of my favorite bits, and then a second episode that was not as good. Just before midnight the power went out! We lit candles, found flashlights and went to bed. Power came back on this AM about 1000, so with the added hour of Standard Time, it had been off 11 hours. Betsy was going to try to clean today, skipped church, but her thyroid is already messing her moods up, and she wasn't in that good a mood to start. The weather has been chilly but pretty today, but I found the leak is still there so it was not the disposal being clogged. An attempt to bring in Thorissa today failed as she struggled mightily. So that was my day.


Post a Comment

<< Home